What we do
Orgalime is the prime voice of the EU engineering industry on selected issues that affect a broad range of our members.
We strive for excellence in the:
- Provision of information to our members concerning the activities of the European Union and international bodies of direct relevance, that impact the operations of engineering companies operating in the EU.
- Provision of information and opinions to the European institutions on policy and regulatory issues.
- Provision of a network for our members to facilitate information exchange and together develop services which are useful to their member companies.
- Provision of a wide range of customised services to different sectors of our industry, notably for the monitoring, analysis and dissemination of relevant information published by regulators and for the organisation of congresses and events.
- Production of publications to provide the European engineering companies with model general conditions and documents to help draw up business contracts and give practical advice on frequently occurring legal questions, including in the context of European directives and regulations.
Whilst a significant part of the output of the engineering industries are either capital goods or destined for B-2-B transactions, there is also a large consumer goods output, particularly in the electrical and electronic branch.
Our vision is to actively promote the development in Europe of the necessary competitive framework conditions under which our companies can flourish, provide growth and employment both today and in the long term as manufacturers in the EU, and to ensure that the trading conditions they face are fair, both in the EU and on export markets.
Who we are
Orgalime is the European federation representing the interests at the level of the EU institutions of the European mechanical, electrical, electronic and metal articles industries as a whole. Orgalime is registered under the European Union 'Transparency Register' - ID number: 20210641335-88
A Secretariat currently numbering 30 deals with the numerous policy issues that are of direct interest to our industry. Given that in the European Commission alone there are potentially 14 Directorates General to do business with, effective input from Orgalime can only be achieved with the committed support of specialists from our members and European sector committees.
Orgalime's member federations directly or indirectly represent an industry employing over 10.9 million people.
The companies which are overwhelmingly small and medium-sized enterprises cover a broad industry cross-section in terms of product, market segment and geographical spread. They manufacture products covering an enormous spectrum – from perforated ceiling panels to complex machines, from individual machines to complex systems used in all spheres of industrial and economic activity – this is the enabling industry!
The engineering industry is the largest industrial branch in the EU, with a turnover of more than €1,900 billion in 2015. The industry accounts for over a quarter of manufacturing output and a third of the manufactured exports of the European Union.